Business Studies teaches you:
- how you can make sensible decisions before you spend your income
- how you are protected as a consumer
- how to make the best use of these services: banking, insurance and money lending
- how Ireland operates as an economy within the European Union
- how to set up a business and the services available to it
- how people behave at work: employees, employers and trade unions
- how to record and present financial information about yourself or about any voluntary organisation or business you are involved in
- how to understand and use financial information supplied by other people, voluntary organisation or business
- how information technology can help you deal with your business or personal finances.
You can expect to learn and understand:
- how and why financial information is recorded
- how to prepare the final accounts for a club / business
- how a business’s accounts are drawn up
- how and why the government prepares its budget
- about the importance of Ireland being a member of the European Union
- how to set up a business and what services are needed to run it efficiently; financial, banking, insurance and communications
- how to prepare a personal budget
- about the services that are available to you as an individual; banking, money lending, insurance etc.
- about my duties and responsibilities as a consumer, worker and member of my community.
The benefits of studying Business Studies are:
- you will learn how to collect, organise, record and present financial information
- you will be able to prepare your own accounts
- you will be able to calculate your own income tax and PRSI
- you will understand how and why you should consider various types of insurance cover
- you will know about services available from the financial institutions; why one should save, where one could invest, how to borrow wisely.
- you will learn your rights as a consumer and how you are protected
- you will be able to perform the duties of treasurer of a club or society
- you will learn how to be enterprising as an individual, a member of your community and as a business person.
- you will learn how the country’s economy works
- you will be well prepared to study a business studies subject for your Leaving Certificate: Accountancy, Business Organisation or Economics.